Icon of the Pentecost

Icon of the Pentecost
Christ has sent the Holy Spirit in tongues of fire for our salvation!

Contributor

My photo
I am a professed Third Order Franciscan since 2002. I have dedicated my life to living and following the Rule of the Secular Franciscan Order. I have been the Vice-Minister and Minister of my local fraternity. Recently, my faith journey has taken me east to the Byzantine Catholic Church. I look forward to spreading the work of Saint Francis in my new found home. Even more recently I find that I am being called to walk more closely in the footsteps of Saint Francis. Our world is in desperate need a restoration of Faith, Hope and Charity. It is to this end that I devote my life.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Saints of the Day: September 6

Eastern Rite Saints:
Saint Michael the Archangel
Appearance at Colossa in Chonia

Sts Eudoxius & 1104 Martyrs
Saint Eudoxius was a soldier in the time of the Emperor Trajan

Saint Archippus

Roman Rite Saint:
Blessed Claudio Granzotto (1900 - 1947)
Born in Santa Lucia del Piave near Venice, Claudio was the youngest of nine children and was accustomed to hard work in the fields. At the age of nine he lost his father. Six years later he was drafted into the Italian army, where he served more than three years.

His artistic abilities, especially in sculpture, led to studies at Venice's Academy of Fine Arts, which awarded him a diploma with the highest marks in 1929. Even then he was especially interested in religious art. When Claudio entered the Friars Minor four years later, his parish priest wrote, "The Order is receiving not only an artist but a saint." Prayer, charity to the poor and artistic work characterized his life, which was cut short by a brain tumor. He died on the feast of the Assumption and was beatified in 1994.

Claudio developed into such an excellent sculptor that his work still turns people toward God. No stranger to adversity, he met every obstacle courageously, reflecting the generosity, faith and joy that he learned from Francis of Assisi.

Quote:
In the beatification homily, Pope John Paul II said that Claudio made his sculpture "the privileged instrument" of his apostolate and evangelization. "His holiness was especially radiant in his acceptance of suffering and death in union with Christ's Cross. Thus by consecrating himself totally to the Lord's love, he became a model for religious, for artists in their search for God's beauty and for the sick in his loving devotion to the Crucified" (L'Osservatore Romano, Vol. 47, No. 1, 1994).

No comments:

Post a Comment